As the population to the south end of Liverpool was expanding, it was decided that a Methodist Chapel be erected. Members of Pitt Street Chapel raised funds and in 1826 the Wesley Methodist Chapel on Upper Stanhope Street opened. Flanked on both sides by Chester Street and Wesley Place, it had seating for 1350 people and its architectural beauty and the aesthetic quality of the 'Chapel In The Park' were greatly admired. The Litany was used and the chants were sung by hired choristers, as well as Church Services, Baptism, Marriages and Burials were also performed there. Day Schools attached to the chapel were built in Windsor Street in 1865.
The first baptism was performed on John Wesley Kellick on 6th January 1828, and John Bates of Jackson Street, was the first burial taking place on 18th November 1827. The final interment, of Elizabeth Hope Franceys was on 11th August 1869.
The church which had suffered severely from the plague in 1847 when 412 victims of the fever were buried in the grave yard managed to retain its aristocratic character till the 1890's when the whole district began to change rapidly. The School accommodation was greatly improved in 1927 from the proceeds of the sale of the Day School. Wesley was added to the Mission Circuit in 1931 and was thereafter run on Mission lines. It continued with some success in an area with a large Irish and black population till the surrounding houses were all cleared in the later 60's. The church was closed and demolished in 1970. and the burial grounds shown on the 1908 maps were landscaped. The surrounding wall is all that now remains, as can be seen in the photographs opposite.